Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Special Days in September and October

I came across one of those "this is national yada yada week" articles a few days ago and was wondering about a resource to see all of these ahead of time.  I'd like to know for classroom planning.  I may not want to celebrate every single day with students, but there are some that can definitely fit into regular classroom instruction.  So I went looking for a master list of national days and weeks. I found several.  And they all had different things on them.  Sigh.

Of course that meant that I needed to procrastinate whatever I was currently doing to make myself a master list from all the lists, and then a further narrowed list that might be usable for the classroom. I mean, I really don't need to bring up National Ants on  a Log Day or National Teddy Bear Day.  Those are today by the way. ;)  Or maybe I do.  Ants on a log could be a great model of a nutritional snack if I'm teaching nutrition.  Or maybe kinders and first graders could bring their teddy bear to school and read to them for National Teddy Bear Day.  See what I mean, I need to know ahead of time!  But I REALLY don't need to bring up National Gynecology Week. ;)



And then of course I decided to share my list here for anyone else who might want to know.  I figured the best way was to share enough that you had time to plan for the day if desired, but also immediate enough in the future to fit into my current thoughts.  :)  So I think I'll share two months worth of days at the beginning of each month.  I'll share the current and the next month.  That way you'll know what's coming up and also have a reminder for what's happening in the next few days.  It's a lot of info so I am posting September today and October in the next few days.

I am under no illusions that I have an exhaustive list (have you seen how many special days are out there?!)  So if you know of any important ones that fit into the time frame please post them in the comments!  Also, if you have any ideas of ways to celebrate or integrate them into classroom instruction please share that in the comments as well!

September 2014-


For the Month, September is National ...


  • Classical Music Month
  • Hispanic Heritage Month
  • Fall Hat Month
  • International Square Dancing Month
  • National Blueberry Popsicle Month
  • National Courtesy Month -Teach manners!
  • National Piano Month
  • Chicken Month
  • Baby Safety Month
  • Little League Month
  • Honey Month
  • Self Improvement Month - Great for student personal goal setting
  • Better Breakfast Month - good homework ;) 
  • Friendship Month
  • Library Card Sign Up Month
  • National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
  • National Mushroom Month

For the weeks...
  • National Nutrition Week (1-7)
  • National Environmental Services Week (14-20)
  • National Cupcake Week (15-21)
  • Constitution Week (17-23)
  • National Farm Society and Health Week (19-25)
  • Banned Books Week (21-27)
  • Fall Astronomy Week (29-10/5)
For the individual days...
 (They have links so you can see what they are, because some are like, what?!)


September 1
September 2
September 3
September 4
September 5
September 6
September 7
September 8
September 9
September 10
September 11
September 12
September 13
September 14
September 15
September 16
September 17
September 18
September 19
September 20
September 21
September 22
September 23
September 24
September 25
September 26
September 27
September 28
September 29
September 30

No comments:

Post a Comment