Thursday, October 2, 2014

Book Review - The Ninja Librarians - The Accidental Keyhand

New on the market this year is this:






I checked it out at my local library for my 4th grader to read. And of course I read it too.  ;)

It's an 850L lexile, so 5-8 grade, but my 4th grader had no problem with it (but he is an advanced reader).

Basic synopsis:  A couple of kids accidentally find a portal into a secret ninja librarian society. The society rescues writings in any format, that are in danger of being destroyed.  Everything from political writings that influence history to letters from runaway girls to their parents. 

It's an interesting book, sets itself up well for a series (which I hope will follow), and is quite entertaining.  The plot moves along nicely, the creativity is evident, and there are several learning points about people and incidents in history. This could enrich Social Science learning, especially in 6th grade where most schools (at least in my state) study world history. 

All in all, I'd highly recommend this book.  The vocabulary is challenging, but not so difficult that it detracts from the story.  In other words, a good learning level.  The author also uses descriptive language very well.   Really.  It could be a mentor text for descriptive language in upper grades. 

Have any of you read this?  What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment